Most companies want to be environmentally responsible. The problem is they can’t afford to compromise on price or effectiveness to do it. BioBlend was founded to help solve that problem, by developing high-performance biodegradable lubricants that protect both your equipment and the environment without compromising on either.
Since our founding in 2001, BioBlend’s experts have taken a pragmatic approach toward Environmentally Responsible Lubrication. We believe the best way we can promote environmental responsibility is to make environmentally-responsible products that are just as effective and economical as any less environmentally-sustainable product. If you can afford to use environmentally responsible products, after all, then you will! BioBlend calls this combination of Environmental sustainability, Effectiveness, and Economic feasibility Environmental Synergy, or “eSyn™,” and it’s at the heart of everything we do.
What is eSyn™?
Environmental Synergy–or eSyn–is the proprietary guiding process BioBlend’s experts follow when designing our biodegradable products. It is the design process we use to ensure that our products meet BioBlend’s “Three Es” of Environmental Synergy:
BioBlend’s experts ensure that our eSyn products fulfill all three of these criteria by integrating them into our design process. Here’s how the eSyn works, step by step:
Step 1 – Planning: Our experts strategically select which products to develop to fulfill specific goals and needs
Step 2 – Environmental: We carefully select natural (plant-based) and synthetic base stocks and additives to include in that product to ensure its biodegradability or eco-friendliness
Step 3 – Effective: We formulate the actual product to meet or exceed performance the characteristics of mineral-based products of its category and role
Step 4 – Economic: We ensure the product can be provided at a competitive cost compared to the equivalent mineral or synthetic based product it’s competing against.
By integrating the Three Es into our design process every step of the way, eSyn enables our experts to reliably create products that are not only environmentally-friendly, but also effective and economical. Environmentally Responsible Lubrication without compromise: that’s the eSyn difference.
What makes BioBlend Products eSyn™?
If a product is considered eSyn approved, that means it meets or exceeds specific environmental, performance, and economic standards. These standards include:
To be considered eSyn approved, a product must either provide an environmentally-responsible alternative to an existing, more environmentally toxic mineral-based oil OR it must provide an original, environmentally-friendly solution to an industry need.
The specific environmental standards a product must pass to receive this approval depend on the product in question, but all eSyn products must fit most if not all of the following technical definitions:
- Readily biodegradable: The product must be proven to be more than 60% biodegradable within 28 days according to OECD 301B.
- Not or non-bioaccumulative: Product must be considered not potentially bioaccumulative by meeting one of following conditions: it has a molar mass greater than 800 g/mol or a molecular diameter greater than 1.5 nm; it has a log Kow less than 3 or greater than 7; or it has a measured BCF less than 100 L/Kg (European Commission standard, 2004).
- Minimally or low toxic: In accordance with EPA 800-R-11-002, the product must pass OECD 201 & 202 for acute toxicity, which is 100mg/L for hydraulic fluids and 1000mg/L for greases, two-stroke oils, & all other total loss lubricants.
- Environmentally Acceptable Lubricant (EAL): Product must be a confirmed EAL by the standard of Appendix A of the 2013 VGP.
- USDA Biopreferred: The Product must conform to standards required to make it a USDA Biopreferred biobased product.
- And more–see our eSyn product’s data sheets to learn more about specific environmental standards our products conform to and exceed.
The product must meet or exceed the performance expectations of the potential user. The user must not compromise on quality performance when they make the switch to the eco-friendly product.
In fact, BioBlend’s eSyn products typically exceed conventional products in each of the following areas:
- Viscosity Index
- High Polarity
- High Flash Point
- High Dielectric Strength
When using an eSyn product under normal operating conditions, not only will you not notice a difference, but you may actually see performance improvements–all while helping the environment.
The product must be cost-competitive with the mineral-based products it’s comparable to.
BioBlend’s eSyn-approved products meet all three of these criteria–something no mineral oil on the market today can claim.
Which BioBlend Products are considered eSyn™?
Most BioBlend products with the “Bio” prefix earn eSyn approval. You can find out if any individual product is eSyn approved by looking for the eSyn symbol on that product’s page.
Even if you don’t see the symbol, don’t worry: all of BioBlend’s products are completely effective. If they aren’t eSyn-approved, it simply means they don’t satisfy each of the “Three E” requirements all at once. This happens for several reasons and is never a fault of the product itself. For instance: some of BioBlend’s high-end products may not meet the stringent cost requirements of eSyn but are still high performance (meeting or exceeding the capabilities of similar conventional lubricants) and eco-friendly.
eSyn™ in Action
One example of the eSyn Difference is our BioBlend Brake Cleaner. BioBlend Brake Cleaner is a non-chlorinated brake cleaning spray that conforms to CARB VOC regulations. BioBlend Brake Cleaner meets and surpasses each of the Three E standards required for eSyn approval:
- Environmental: BioBlend Brake Cleaner conforms to the EPA’s VOC restrictions for aerosol coating with a safe VOC content rating of 9.21. It is considered >85% biodegradable, which makes it “readily biodegradable” according to industry standards.
- Effective: BioBlend Brake Cleaner spray can be applied directly to disc brakes, drum brakes, and CV joints to clean and degrease them very effectively. It’s also highly-effectively at degreasing a wide variety of other mechanical equipment such as electric motors, air conditioners, and more.
- Economic: BioBlend Brake Cleaner is cost effective and lasts longer than most other non-chlorinated brake cleaners, making it as good if not better a value than its competition.
As an eSyn product, BioBlend’s Brake Cleaner is a brake cleaner and degreaser that is uniquely environmentally friendly, effective, and economical. You never need to compromise on quality or price to get environmentally-friendly brake cleaning… because the most Environmentally-friendly product, the most Effective product, and the most Economical product… are all the same product: the eSyn-approved BioBlend Brake Cleaner.
Why You Should Use eSyn™
Companies choose not to use environmentally-sustainable products because those products are either ineffective or too expensive. BioBlend has made that problem a thing of the past by developing eSyn to ensure that the environmentally-sustainable product is also the most effective and cost-effective product, every time.
Let’s put it simply: with eSyn, you have the opportunity to help save the world without hurting your bottom line. Why wouldn’t you use it? Environmentally Friendly Lubrication Without Compromise: eSyn makes it easy.
How to Get eSyn™ Products
Interested in eSyn products? Just get in touch with our experts today. We’re ready to help you find what you need to help the world without hurting your business.