Maybe you’re thinking about converting the lubrication in your equipment or machinery to a bio-based or otherwise environmentally acceptable lubricant. Are you aware that some bio-based lubricants feature superior lubricity, very high flash points, higher viscosity, and better performance than traditional mineral-based products? Protecting your investment while supporting your company’s sustainability initiatives is something to be considered. However, you might be wondering what effect converting from the products you are currently using to a new readily biodegradable lubricant will have on your systems. We want to address your concerns here and assure you that switching to environmentally responsible lubrication solutions can be safe and easy. Read on for tips on the best way to accomplish this change.
Optimally, if you can perform a complete drain and fill of your system, you’ll be in great shape. In this scenario, you will completely remove all lubrication product from the system. In some cases, you may wish to also flush the system to remove heavy deposits of sludge, varnish and other oxidation by-products, dirt, metal shavings, etc.). However, this can be a costly process both with regard to time and consumables. Most BioBlend biodegradable lubricants – such as our high-performance greases, industrial and construction hydraulic oils, gear oils, and rock drill oils – are compatible with mineral-based systems and the entire system does not need to be completely drained and flushed. The only exception is PAG synthetics (polyalkyleneglycol) which are incompatible with conventional petroleum fluids and conventional synthetic fluids. A BioBlend sales professional can help to assess whether our products are compatible with the products currently found in your system. An added benefit of using a BioBlend product in your system is that our lubricants clean as they provide the benefits of lubrication. You may notice deposits in your filters, which will require changing earlier than with your former lubricant. That’s because those unwanted contaminates are being removed as part of the performance of the product. As the contaminants are removed, filter changes will return to normal levels.
Planning, Preparation & Process
Once you have made the decision to convert, the following information will help you to move from conventional petroleum lubricants to readily biodegradable BioBlend lubricants to meet the standards of biodegradability required in North America:
- Optimally, lubricant system change-outs should be done inside, and at an ambient temperature of at least 68⁰F (20⁰C).
- Use a desiccant filter for open hydraulic systems.
- Use quality filters according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. The filter should conform to standard 18.22 and be able to retain condensation. Keep in mind that in most cases any water content over 1000 ppm is considered damaging.
- Run your equipment with its current charge of used oil for at least 30 minutes to bring the oil to normal operating temperature.
- Drain the lubricating oil system by opening the main oil reservoir and pumping out the reservoir until empty, and replace the oil filter/cartridge with a fresh one.
- Make sure oil drain stops are put back in place and tightened securely. Fill the lubricating oil system with the recommended new biodegradable BioBlend fluid. Make sure that the lubricating oil reservoir is filled to the appropriate level, and that the oil volume necessary to fill all lube lines and associated componentry is also taken into consideration.
- Operate the equipment normally.
- Periodically check your filters, and replace as necessary as deposits of impurities collect.
We’re Here to Help
Your success in lubricating your equipment is our primary goal and commitment. Consult your BioBlend distributor or representative to set up an ongoing oil analysis program. Sample frequency to include specific tests can be recommended based on your equipment needs and unique operating conditions. Please feel free to contact your BioBlend account representative, or a BioBlend representative, with any additional questions you may have.
Take a look at our full line of products here or contact us to find out how we can assist you in reaching your operational, cost and ESG goals. You may also reach us at +1-888-BIO-BLND (888-246-2563).